13 December 2006

Prioritizing

There's nothing quite like the holidays that makes me set priorities. I've had to say "no" to quite a bit these past two weeks, including induldging myself in blog entries and comments. And, after two requests to open a bakery, I'm done with cookies. Seriously; I can take no more flour, sugar, frosting, eggs, etc. Neither can my middle. I'm only making 'real food' for the next two weeks, and trying to keep it healthy at that.

Work has slipped as a priority. Although it's been busy, my mind is distracted on friends going through hard times, conviction over my own stewardship with money and time, holiday parties, and determining whether my body just needs rest or a solid workout.

Advent is also lost in the cobwebs and shadows, pushed to the bottom of the growing list of things to do this weekend, just above posting to this blog. But that is the heart of this season, to stop, pause, take time, and remember the birth of our Lord. Yet every year it sneaks up faster, the lists get longer, there are dozens of cookies to bake, multiple functions to attend. All on top of everyday life -- grandparents passing, finals, waiting for test results, mourning and joy.

I am glad for some of the shifts I see in my priorities, and though I constantly fail to keep this as my first thought, I continue to seek rest in Him; to wait and anticipate His birth and return.

No comments: