04 September 2006

Everyday Hero

I am now a seven year-old's spider-squashing super hero. This was no simple feat. The spider was climbing out of reach, even when I was equipped with a borrowed Coke bottle. But I did manage to destroy the poor bug and save the day. And, my super hero status increased when I showed Dylan that I, too, knew how to cast a fishing rod. Yes, girls can be cool.

Dylan is my roommate's little brother. We many adventures this weekend... chasing cats, 'catching' fish (in the living room...it rained until right before we left), and killing spiders. All this on top of seeing New York (mostly Long Island) for the first time, and experiencing my first Tea Party Bridal Shower. (Note to friends: Please never make me do this.) Oh, and my first experience at a very small Brethren church. All in all, New England was quaint, beautiful and charming. But still some place I'd rather visit than live.

I must say that 7 hour car rides are far more enjoyable with someone. Well, you'd have to ask Carolyn if my singing was obnoxious. Our conversations reminded me how blessed I've been these last 2 1/2 years with her as my roommate. For two girls who'd never really met until the day I moved in, we've done quite well. And watching G-d work in her life, in her engagement, her family.... awesome. She's taught me much about patience with and submission to your family. This is the best living situation I've had since college, and I'm grateful for such a provision of friendship.

No comments: