18 September 2006

Another Meme

A Piece of Art that you Love


A Sunday Afternoon on La Grande Jatte by George Seurat, 1884-86. If you're not familiar with the piece, it is huge (81in x 121 in), all in dots about the size of dimes. Impressive.
I love this piece for two reasons: a) it is an incredible display of patience and b) it is housed at the Art Institute of Chicago and makes me think of home.

A Line in a Song or Line of Poetry that Reaches Your Core
I'll refrain from citing U2.

Oh that I would have despaired if You had not come found me there,

I can lean against Your Throne and find my peace.

An Experience in Nature that was Really Special and/or Spiritual.
Riding a camel up Mount Musa ("Mount Sinai") in the dead of night. The camel part was not very spiritual, except praying that it would not bite me. But the STARS... oh, wow. I have never seen so many stars in my life, but I know what people speak of when they say 'under a blanket of stars.' We were in the middle of the desert at 3am, and the only lights we had to go by were the moon and stars. Awesome.


The Movie that Changed the Way you saw the World.
Um, no. Movies are great but they are not World Changing. Although, I did name my cats Luke and Leia.


A Piece of Music That Makes You Cry.

Blessed be the Name of the Lord

We sang this at Mercy's funeral. The refrain You give and take away, You give and take away/My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be Your name is really, really hard for me to sing without thinking of her, and so I cry.

I'm tagging Pto, Shayna, Carl, Nathan and Dave.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

I don't really want to post this on my blog, but I'll answer here:
A Piece of Art I love
Christ of St John of the Cross - Salvador Dali
A line of Poetry that Reaches to my core:
For myself alone I doubt
All is well, I know without
I alone the beauty mar
I alone the music jar

An Experience in Nature that was Really Spiritual
Watching the sun rise behind the Na Pali cliffs in Hawaii. See the picture at the top of my blog.
Movie that changed the way I see the world
The Mission
Piece of Music that Makes me Cry
Fratres - Arvo Pärt

Nathan said...

By the way, I disagree that movies cannot change the way you see the world. Good art always can, no matter the form.

Ryann said...

Life enhancing, certainly. Art adds beauty and depth to our earthly experience. And in many ways, serves as a connection to the Divine. But fundamental world-view changing? Maybe I am just watching the wrong movies... ;)