21 January 2007

To Tears

I’ve rarely experienced moments of intense emotion when reading commentaries but I was brought to tears by this, and I wanted to share it.

I’m prepping a study of Psalm 40, and not owning a commentary of my own; I borrowed Spurgeon’s from my pastor’s library. (Thanks, David. You should comment here sometime :)

Versus 6-10 cross-reference with Hebrews 10:5-9; a connection I would not have made on my own, but Hebrews makes it very clear that Ps. 40:6-10 is speaking directly about Christ:

Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but my ears you have pierced;
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.

Then I said, "Here I am, I have come— it is written about me in the scroll.

I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."

I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips, as you know, O LORD.

I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and salvation.
I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly.

Spurgeon exposits verse 7: Then I said, “Here I am, I have come – it is written about me in the scroll,” with the following:

Immanuel did not send but come; he came in his own personality, in all that constituted his essential self he came forth from the ivory palaces to the abodes of misery; he came promptly at the destined hour; he came with sacred alacrity as one freely offering himself. In the eternal decree it is thus recorded. The mystic roll of predestination which providence gradually unfolds, contained within it, to the Saviour’s knowledge, a written covenant, that in the fullness of time the divine I should descend to earth to accomplish a purpose which hecatombs of bullocks and rams could not achieve. What a privilege to find our names written in the book of life, and what an honour, since the name of Jesus heads the page! Our Lord has respect to his ancient covenant engagements, and herein he teaches us to be scrupulously just in keep our word; have we so promised, it is so written in the book of remembrance? {Emphasis Spurgeon's.}

I like that He did not send but come. That He held the promise of the covenant, and that He spoke His promise in the Psalms. That we find Christ in the Psalms makes clear this was His holy plan, this was no afterthought. His redemptive work on the cross is not Plan B. This causes me to pause, reflecting on His wisdom, His purposes, His provision. If He planned this much for himself, how much does He plan for His Bride, His Beloved? This is humbling, to say the least. In fact, my thoughts were such that I could not put into words, and had to fall in tears of joy, thankfulness and praise. He is a good, good G-d.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I look forward to learning more on Wednesday....

Rob.