15 October 2006

The Trinity

I cannot wrap my brain around this concept, no matter how hard I try. Do we make this more complex than it need be? Do I really need to understand Jewish monotheism and early christology to grasp this?

I'm fumbling my way through this article, and as mentioned below, recently listened to a talk by D.A. Carson that addressed the humanity/divinity of Christ. I'm temporarily resigned to the fact that this is one of those situations where what I know to be true and what I can understand, in the limits of my human nature, are at odds.

Walking back from lunch today, I was in a conversation with CeCe and Avi. CeCe grew up Catholic and is contemplating converting to Orthodox Judaism. Avi, a non-practicing Iranian Muslim, asked her why she felt compelled toward Judaism. I observed, antenna raised for any opportunity to present the Truth.

When Avi asked why, CeCe could not give a succinct answer. It took her quite some time to find the words, which I found interesting. I could list a myriad of reasons for why I believe in Christ, and I was baffled that she had trouble finding one.

Slowly, it came out. She explained that her Catholic impression left her feeling that no matter what she did, she was either good or bad; that her works did not matter. Really? Not the Catholicism I know, that's for sure. CeCe expressed that under Judaism, her works either drew her closer to G-d, or father from him. There is the obvious element of control here, but there is also the lack of understanding the depravity of humanity and the nature of sin. She actually said, "If I keep the Commandments, I will be closer to G-d." Good luck with that, honey. Let me know how that works out for you.

On a more compassionate note, I was struck by the notion that if you don't have a proper understanding of Sin, you cannot have a proper understanding of G-d, nor of His relationship to us.

What she went on to say was that she believed in only one G-d and this is why she deviated from her Catholic upbringing. She could not accept Jesus as G-d.

I was stuck. And upset at being stuck. It's still One G-d, three persons same in substance and equal in power and glory.

Gulp. I can't even go there, I thought. There is no way I can explain this when I can't really understand it myself.

And now the questions in my silly stubborn head are running circles.

How can I understand this? Can I? Should I try? Are the historical and theological positions just clouding my brain? Can I really figure this out by reading? Does this have to be experienced? How? How can I have a right understanding of G-d, of Christ's work on the cross, of the Holy Spirit in my life, if I can't even figure out the triune G-d???

Breathe. Ok, I'm coming to grips that I won't have this figured out over night. But do we problemitize, over analyze and complicate something that was never meant to be this difficult? Or is it difficult because it's a mystery of G-d?

No comments: