30 October 2006

Offering, and answers to prayer

Nope, I'm not going to talk about money or tithing, though both are very important subjects. The offering I'm referring to in the title is ourselves.

The lyrics of a popular Christian song imply that the only sacrifice we can make to G-d is to give Him our lives, and that this is in our power to do so. The thought struck me that this is not entirely true. No, I don't have anything else to give G-d, for there is nothing that isn't already His. Including me. I obediently "give my life to Him" not because it's all I have to give, but because it's His already, purchased for eternity by His Son's precious blood.

What struck me in a Wow Moment was not that He accepts the offering of ourselves, but that He accepts this even though it's fully His, and He does it for our benefit and His pleasure.

"Offer yourselves to G-d; as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness." Romans 6:13b

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of G-d's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to G-d - this is your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:1

I'm amazed that He considers this offering-that's-rightfully-His an act of worship. My only conclusion is that this act of obedience, this continual laying down of our selves and offering of our bodies to Him, is the very "working out" of our salvation. That as we bring this humble offering, this lump of clay to the potter, He is molding and making, transforming and sanctifying us into righteousness, drawing us closer to holiness and pleasing our Father.

My second Wow Moment came this morning during my word-study on Grace. I promise to revisit Romans and 1 Corinthians, but today I came across Paul's famous grace quote in 2 Cor 12:9.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. " Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I was reminded that this was the answer to Paul's prayer that the thorn in his side be removed. This was the answer. Not an answer, or half the answer, for we really don't know if the thorn ever was removed. For all Paul knew at the time of writing, and all we know now, this was it. This was not a yes, no, maybe, not yet, be patient, or any of the other short human answers we often look for from G-d.

Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Enough already. You don't need a human answer, you need ME. Find rest in My strength and power in My grace, for I am the only answer sufficient for all life's thorns.

Think about it: even when He answers in human terms, He still answers ME. He only answers yes when it brings Him glory, and no when it won't. Maybes, not yets, and be patients all serve to draw us closer to His will. Seek first the kingdom of G-d.

You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:14

The answer, and perhaps even the prayer should be as well, is always Me.

No comments: